For one, I could barely see. Those who know me well may not be surprised by this, but I managed to inflict bodily harm upon myself the morning of the wedding -- specifically, I jammed my mascara brush into my eye and scratched it. I've never done that before, and it HURTS! I couldn't look to the right and, as my loving husband put it, I looked like I had pink eye. Or perhaps like I'd been slugged, once it all started swelling up from rubbing it. I was all right as long as I kept drops in it and remembered to turn my head to look at something rather than just my eyes, but that's hard to do. So mainly, I had really good conversations with whoever was on my left.
The reception was most interesting. At first I was surprised it wasn't a sit-down -- until I realized, you know, you really can't prepare seating for 500 and keep them in the same building! All seven layers of the wedding cake disappeared. The reception was set up as a mingling event, which sadly I was not exactly in the mood for, but the food and drinks were great -- I missed the pomegranate martinis, but I did get a fried green tomato and some fabulous sweet potatoes -- and Brad valiantly did his part mingling, meeting some really interesting, well-connected people. A top state politician's husband, a college president, other people who could obviously bank roll us 100 times over. And he found them all very approachable and genuinely nice to talk to. I just stayed with my college friends, so I wouldn't have to explain my eye, though they still asked me how I was doing every 15 minutes. I really wanted to talk about something else! -- but all I could think about was not looking to the right. But I did manage to meet and like the newest girlfriend in the group and generally catch up with with folks, who look surprisingly nice all cleaned up! :)
So no major shoulder-rubbing and no stunning pictures of Ayzair in her cocktail dress, but a nice time was had by all.
And my eye is now fine, or at least just slightly puffy and blood-shot.
Welcome to my odditorium, a collection of curiosities made up of snippets about my life and occasional machinations on deeper subjects.
3 comments:
Brings back memories of another glam-society wedding at which you were present a few years ago, and another guest whose eye(s) were pufffffffffy... and whose wife was puking quietly in the corner...
Except that there are pictures to document that small tragedy in your new extended family.
I did consider telling everyone that, no, I did not sample some leche nuts before the wedding, but I didn't think they'd get it :)
I didn't get it...
Nice to hear you liked the newest girlfriend in the group. She'll be happy to hear that.
Post a Comment